Saint James Anglican Church

Joseph Howe Drive at the Armdale Rotary, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada             


SAINT JAMES

 Welcome
 Worship Services
 Rector's Page
 Contact Us
 

THIS WEEK       

 Readings

 Hymns

 

THE CHURCH

 Stained Glass Windows 

 Chapel & Columbarium

 History

 
Copyright & Disclaimer

All rights reserved.

Copyright to the individual images is retained by the individual parishioner. The contents of this web site may not be duplicated, altered, or reproduced without the written permission of St James Anglican Church. Every effort is made to provide information which is relevant and as complete, up-to-date and accurate as possible. However St James Anglican Church cannot be held responsible to users of the information or any other person for any errors or omissions, or for any losses, costs or claims which arise as a result of relying on such information or advice.

 

History

 

Religious services have been held at a site at the head of the North West Arm since 1857.  In that year, Dr. Charles Cogswell constructed a wooden schoolhouse on his own property at the head of the Arm, and daily prayer and scripture reading were introduced to the students.  The first religious services were conducted by Presbyterians.

 

Dr. Cogswell was anxious that services in the Anglican Order should be introduced.  In August 1862 the first service at what would be Saint James was conducted by the Rev. R.F. Uniacke of Saint George's Church.

 

In 1884, Dr. Cogswell deeded the property to the Parish of Saint Mark's Halifax to hold title as long as the school was kept in repair and Anglican services were conducted.  Until the 1919 constitution of the Parish of Saint James and Saint John's, services were conducted by clergy from Saint Mark's, assisted by lay readers.

 

Saint James was constituted as a separate parish in 1922.  Old Saint James was a unique structure in that it contained in its fabric the original old schoolhouse built in 1857 and four subsequent additions which resulted in a nave of 90 feet long and 20 feet wide.

 

The present Saint James, dedicated on February 4th, 1967, and consecrated on November 30th, 1967, incorporates within its roof structure, but as a separate unit, the original chancel and 22 feet of the old nave.  This is now called "All Souls Chapel", and in 2001, "All Souls Columbarium" was added to this chapel.

 

Rectors who have served at Saint James:

Rev. W.T. Townsend (1919-22)

Rev. N. LeMoine (1922-32)

Rev. A. Ledrew Gardner (1932-39)

Rev. W.E. Fuller (1940-42)

Rev. C.O. Holm (1942-75)

Rev. Ronald Harris (1975-97)

[Rev. David Garrett, assistant (1988-95)]

Rev. John Smith, Priest-In-Charge (1997-98)

Rev. Roderick Gillis (1998-2012)

Rev. Don Shipton, Priest-In-Charge (2012)

Rev. Rachael Parker (2012- )

 

Archival documents:

The 100th Anniversary Building Project  (5.89 MB)

The Service of Dedication (February 4, 1967)  (3.77 MB)

The Message from the Architect

 

St. James, Christmas 1933 (click to enlarge photo)

 

St. James, archival (click to enlarge painting)

 

St. James, archival (click to enlarge photo)

 

The present day Saint James